Filmmaker to Speak

Mexican filmmaker and TV director María Fernanda “Mafer” Suárez De Garay will be on campus Tuesday to speak to students about her experiences as a female director in Mexico. The free talk will be held at 3 pm in the Marsha Shields room in the McCombs campus center, and a reception will follow after.

Suárez directed the TV series Mujeres Asesinas (Women Killers), Gritos de muerte y libertad (The Mexican Independence of 1810), and El encanto del águila (The Mexican Revolution of 1910), all of which had high ratings in Mexico.

“I asked her to talk about her experiences as a female director, and as the first female director of a series in Mexico,” Assistant Professor of Spanish Angeles Rodriguez Cadena said. “She will discuss her role as a director and the effect of sex [in the industry]. I’m interested in hearing what she has to say about that. She also directed a very successful series about women and violence in Mexico that aired here in the U.S. on a Spanish network and was very popular.”

Suárez also produced and directed short documentaries and movies. She has a degree in Sociology from the Universidad Iberoamericana, and is a graduate of the Centro de Capacitación Cinematográfica in Mexico City.

“I’m interested in what she thinks about the construction of sex and identities as well as the ongoing construction of collective identities of culture through fiction for a mass audience,” Rodriguez said.

The event is sponsored by the Spanish program, Modern Languages, Communication Studies, Feminist Studies, International Studies, Latin American Studies, and the Global Citizen Fund. The talk will be in Spanish with simultaneous translation.

“On Tuesday, some of my students as well as members of Sigma Delta Pi (the Hispanic Honor Society on campus) will be in charge of introducing her, translating from Spanish into English, and moderating the question and answer session,” Rodriguez said. “My students and the Spanish department are very excited she is coming.”

On Monday, Mafer will also talk to the Rodriguez’s advanced Spanish class, Cultural Memory in Latin America.

“I wanted my students in that class to have a chance to talk to someone who has actually created cultural texts … about the evolving and collective meaningful understandings of the past and present that is cultural memory,” Rodriguez said.

The talk on Tuesday will be open to any and all community members.

“I think it will be great! I really hope many people can come and meet her and talk to her. She is very warm and open, so I think it is a unique experience for our community to come see her and hear about her experience and interact with her.”

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.