By Arianna Haradon
“Operation Achievement is a mentoring program that partners local middle school students with Southwestern students for a tutoring kind of experience and also a chance to get involved on campus,” staff supervisor and Southwestern student Melissa Nelson said.
Georgetown middle school students that are part of the Operation Achievement program visited campus from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Wednesday.
“All-Campus Day is… where we bring all of the students that are involved in our program to campus and they just kind of get to shadow a student… they go to a class in the morning, have lunch in the Commons and go on a tour in the afternoon. It is a really cool experience for them to be involved on campus and learn more of what it’s like to be a college student,” Nelson said.
Operation Achievement is an important program that educates both Southwestern and local middle school students. Esmeralda Palacios, a seventh grader from Tippit Middle School, joined Operation Achievement because her sister had been involved two years before and recommended the program.
“[Operation Achievement] helps me [because] the mentors help me do my homework,” Palacios said.
First year Andree White is Palacios’ Operation Achievement mentor.
“I’m considering going into education later on, so its been a good involvement with the middle school age group, in interacting and understanding where they are and what they are doing. I really enjoy spending time with Esmeralda every Tuesday,” White said.
Southwestern students that want to get involved with Operation Achievement next year can contact Director of Operation Achievement Joni Ragle or find information about the program on Southwestern’s website.
“I love this program. It helps give a lot of students who may not have the opportunity a chance to learn what a college experience is like and what higher level education can really do for your life, [like] how you can get awesome jobs [because of higher education]. It’s a really great experience,” Nelson said.
- Where Should I Live? : On-Campus vs. Off Campus On-Campus By Kavita Singh The monetary commitment to live on-campus...
- Chant Contest to Promote Spirit: Student Foundation Sponsors Ongoing Competition Submissions are ongoing for the SU Spirit Chant Contest sponsored...
- New Pirate Bike Repair Station Complete By Nikko Gianino SUPD installed a bike repair station between...
- SU Spotlight: New Lacrosse Coach Matthew Grosso By Nikko Gianino In the transition from a club sport...
- Transforming Paideia Jennifer Fleming Representatives from the Southern Association of Colleges and...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.