Student Art Featured in Grant Exhibit at Korouva

By Adrianna Haradon

From March 25 to 28, Korouva Milkbar hosted the Interdisciplinary Craft as Art Project, an exhibit funded by the King Creativity Fund featuring the work of student and faculty artists. The exhibit was the brainchild of Emily Manning, Andja Budincich, and Mary Alyson Atkins. The opening of the exhibit culminated a semester long project emphasizing craft as an interdisciplinary medium of communication.

“The Interdisciplinary Craft as Art Project (ICAP) is a project… that wanted to explore interdisciplinary thinking,” student artist Andja Budincich said. “By displaying the pieces as art, even though they were made by traditional craft mediums, we sought to question what makes something art, and how do we define it.”

The location of the exhibit reinforced these themes.

“I think that the space in which the exhibit is being displayed is an important part of understanding the goal of the project as a whole,”  Budincich said. “Korouva is obviously not a gallery.  It’s kind of grungy, and was definitely a bit of a challenge to work with at first. But I think what makes it so perfect for this project is that since the art was of a subversive nature (because it was craft), it follows that the space shouldn’t be a traditional space for art.”

This type of project can provide an outlet for artists on campus to express personal and social issues they find important to the campus community.

“My piece was called Identity Jacket. I was inspired to create it because the issue of personal identity is one that I see as being especially relevant for college students,” Budincich said.

She went on to explain her ideas on the flexibility of identity.

“Identity is fluid, something that changes minute by minute as we interact with our environment. The identity I chose to present when I designed the image to embroider looks different than what I would design today to express identity, and both of these would be different from what I might design in two weeks, or two months, or two years.”

Another work included  a vase made by junior Kate Steinbach.

“My piece was inspired by Nietzsche’s essay ‘On Truth and Lies in a Non-Moral Sense,’” Steinbach said. “The primary way that humans communicate is through a series of metaphors which abstract reality into symbols, the primary example being language. I try to communicate  in my vase this through invoking three of the metaphors; the actual physical object, the drawing on it, and the written label.”

Other works were created by was featured included Emily Manning, Mary Alyson Atkins and Jordan Hutchinson, as well as faculty members Glenda Carl, Fumika Futamura and Sandi Nenga.

This entry was posted in Culture and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.