Career Services Personnel

Ichabod Black may be the office mascot, but those truly responsible for the many events and opportunities offered to students are the members of the career services team, including director
Roger Young, assistant director Alexandra Anderson and internship coordinator Maria Kruger.

You are stranded on a desert island. There is ample food and shelter for you to live on.
What is the one personal item that you would most like to have with you?

Alexandra Anderson: Well, besides my family, I would have to say books! Really long ones,
if I’m going to be there a while. The whole Harry Potter series, perhaps, or Diana Gabaldon’s
Outlander series. I love to read, and since I have a four-year-old, I don’t get to read much for
fun these days. Two minutes at a time while brushing my teeth is about the norm. Actually, that
island with a stack of books is sounding kind of fun!

Roger Young: A good book would be nice, but after I read it, then what? So I guess it would be matches, in case I need to build a fire to flag down a passing ship or plane.

Maria Kruger: My kindle.

What is your favorite part of your job at SU?

Alexandra Anderson: Definitely getting to know students, and especially seeing the progress students make in their life planning and when they land that coveted opportunity they’ve been striving toward. I love that my job is a balance between getting to help people in a practical way
and also getting lots of task-y stuff done, such as planning events, managing a website, etc. And I get to stay “in college” long-term. It’s a perfect fit for my personality and interests, though it took my parents a while to realize I actually had a career and wasn’t just remaining a perpetual
student!

Roger Young: It has to be working with students and hearing of their successes in internships and their chosen career fields after Southwestern.

Maria Kruger: It is very rewarding to work with students and see them challenge themselves to grow through internships and other experiential learning opportunities.

What did you want to be when you were growing up?

Alexandra Anderson: First, a ballerina, but that idea dropped off around age 11! Then probably some kind of diplomat. Didn’t do that either, though my sister did. Then I was the typical liberal arts student who just loved studying languages and linguistics and even went to a master’s program in Spanish without having any idea of what I wanted to do with my career. As I’ve told many students, it wasn’t until I was half-way through my first master’s and I was working the front desk in Jester one night when my colleague said, “You know, Alex, this whole ‘helping college students outside the classroom’ thing that you’ve been doing for five years is a career field…” Wow! Epiphany! I finished my degree and then completed a second master’s in Higher
Education Administration to get the necessary credential to be marketable in this field. I’ve never really left college, and I love it that way!

Roger Young: I always wanted to fly, so I thought it would be very neat to be a pilot in the Air Force … did not happen. I am very near-sighted.

Maria Kruger: Truth be told, I wanted to be a professional figure skater. I never took lessons but I loved watching figure skating during the Olympics. Of course I also love animals and thought being a vet would be cool.

This entry was posted in Features and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.