Another Writer Reminisces About Their Childhood

This is supposedly the 1990s in one picture.  I'm not sure if I agree.  Courtesy of Google Images.

This is supposedly the 1990s in one picture. I'm not sure if I agree. Courtesy of Google Images.

In the wake of beginning a new decade in the 21st century are you finding yourself missing the 90s? Being born in the middle of 1991 made me a little late to the festivities, but I can still party like it’s 1999. So sit back, grab some Kool-Aid, put on your N*SYNC CD, and join me in indulging in some 90s nostalgia.

Being a 90s child, I can remember having a Barbie bedspread and then a Pokemon one. For Halloween I dressed as Baby Bop, Mulan, Esméralda from the Hunchback of Notre Dame, and the Pink Power Ranger. I had a Lion King dress that I never wanted to take off. Birthday parties were held at Discovery Zone and the day I got my own pair of Jelly Sandals I wore them to bed. I prized my pretend doctor’s kit, Baby Tumble Surprise, CD player and Pokémon cards above all else.

I was obsessed with movies such as “101 Dalmatians,” “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids,” “The Lion King,” “Matilda,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Space Jam,” “A Goofy Movie,” “The Little Rascals,” “Harriet the Spy,” “Home Alone,” “Free Willy,” “Toy Story,” “The Land Before Time” and “Aladdin.”
Some of the oldest memories I have are that of watching “Barney” and “Sesame Street.” Progressing to Saturday morning TV filled with “Thomas the Tank Engine,” “Gullah Gullah Island,” “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood,” “Sailor Moon,” “Rugrats” and “Power Rangers.” Then there were the after school and Saturday night line ups: “Powerpuff Girls,” “Pepper Ann,” “All That,” “Keenan and Kel,” “Are You Afraid of the Dark?,” “Clarissa Explains It All,” “Arthur,” “Doug,” “Recess” and “Pokémon.”

During these TV shows, we were subjected to all kinds of commercials. Being a girl, my memory of these commercials are biased. The big toys I remember are Sky Dancers, Care Bears, Barbie, Cabbage Patch Kids, Polly Pockets, My Little Pony, Nerf, Nintendo, Pound Puppies, Operation, Rock’em Sock’em Robots, Silly Putty, Lisa Frank’s many muti-colored animals, Hello Kitty, Play-Doh and LEGOS. Remember the craze induced by Furbys, Giga Pets, Razor scooters and Beanie Babies?

Then elementary school: the great times of recess, P.E., trapper keepers and plastic lunch boxes with our favorite animated characters. Where we created paper fortunetellers that predicted we would marry the most popular kid, have two kids, a mansion and be an astronaut. The agony of getting our cards pulled from green to yellow to red depending on our behavior. Stressing over spelling tests and multiplication licenses. Constantly being told we needed to learn cursive because that was all teachers accepted in high school. When watching “Bill Nye the Science Guy” and “Reading Rainbow” were staples of education. Also, having “I know you are, but what am I” wars and putting “not” after every sentence. Not.

Then the music, times of boy band mania such as 98 Degrees, *NSYNC, Backstreet Boys – the list could go on. There was Destiny’s Child, Spice Girls, Selena and the manufactured pop of Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera. Hip-Hop progressed with artists such as Beastie Boys, Jay-Z, Public Enemy, Snoop Dog, 2Pac and Notorious B.I.G. Punk pop bands such as Blink-182 and Green Day also achieved popularity. And we can’t forget the one-hit wonders like “Mmmm Bop,” “Macarena,” “Baby Got Back,” “Blue (Da Ba Dee),” and “Mambo No. 5” to name just a few.
It seems surreal now, growing up in a time without texting, cell phones, iPods and personal computers, when taking a plane didn’t require an hour of going through security and neighborhood kids played outside instead of gathering around someone’s Wii. It is always fun to look back as the old times, and now, as we step into a new decade, we should always remember to, well remember our passed cherished memories by indulging in some nostalgia now and then.

For another viewpoint, check out this article by Ryan McDermott.

This entry was posted in Opinions. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Another Writer Reminisces About Their Childhood

1. Hello, also like the Toy Story movies, awesome movie!

2. Thank you a great deal for so beneficial post. Great job!

3. Inga Shrode says:

Im no professional, nonetheless I reckon you just formed an exceedingly high-quality point. You evidently know what you are talking about, and I can certainly understand your point being made

4. Thank you a whole lot for so entertaining short article. Tremendous job!