Galaxy Cupcakes: Out of This World

Galaxy Cupcakes Display - Sam Marsh
Written by Alma Aguilar
Megaphone Ad Manager

With only a little more than a month of being opened, Galaxy Cupcakes is making a statement in Georgetown with their gourmet sweets.

From the moment you drive up, customers are welcomed by a very inviting atmosphere.  The color scheme of lime green and pink make you feel young again.

You truly see that Owner Cherie Gilbert has an eye for detail, which transcends onto her cupcakes.

Gilbert makes her cupcakes from scratch in her shop, which you can taste with one bite into one of them. The moist cake and the fluffy icing make make their freshness apparent.

Every day, the shop offers their five signature flavors, which Gilbert has cleverly named to match the “galaxy” theme.  She has the 3 traditional flavors: the Sputnik is chocolate cake with chocolate icing, the Starburst is vanilla cake with vanilla frosting topped with white sprinkles, and the Orbit is a strawberry cake with strawberry icing topped with a slice of a fresh strawberry.

Now I have had many chocolate, vanilla and strawberry cupcakes in my day, but these cupcakes taste as good as they look. The cake and the frosting create a nice combination of sweetness.

She also provides a cupcake for coffee lovers. The Atomic is a mocha cake with mocha icing topped with a chocolate covered espresso bean.

I personally do not enjoy coffee but its taste was not strong enough to make me want to put the cupcake down. It was still delicious.

My favorite of her signature flavors was the red velvet cupcake with cream cheese frosting. Gilbert’s cream cheese frosting made me fall in love with cream cheese all over again. Even though it is my favorite frosting in general, this one has to be one of the best I have tasted in really long time, if ever.

Galaxy Cupcakes also offers two unique rotating flavors a day. I happened to go to the shop on a Sunday, so I was fortunate enough to try their cheesecake inspired Meteoroid and their Cosmopolitan beverage inspired Cosmic .

Hands down, the Cosmic cupcake was my favorite out of all of the cupcakes I had that day, and I had more cupcakes than I’m willing to admit. The white cake was made with vodka and fresh cranberries and it was covered with a delectable lime icing and topped with a dried cranberry.

I was a little hesitant when I heard it had lime icing because I love lime but I am not much of a fan of lime flavored foods. But ,oh, was I wrong! The icing was the best part: it was neither too sweet not too tangy.

Some of you reading this may think, “Oh, she just liked it because it had alcohol,” but fortunately for those of us under 21 who wish to indulge in the alcohol inspired cupcakes, it’s cooked out during baking.

On other days, you may find cupcakes inspired from other cocktails such as Jack and Coke, or a Strawberry Daiquiri. You may also find unique flavors like Chai Tea Latte or Key Lime Pie.

The shop will soon be offering chocolate made by its very own chocolatier, Rachel Hirsch. 

Galaxy Cupcakes is open Wednesday thru Friday from 12-6, and Sundays from 1-5. They are located at 1501 Park Lane, which is the first street on the right on Williams Drive after crossing east over Hwy. 35, next to Brooklyn Pie Company. 

Overall, visiting Galaxy Cupcakes was a wonderful experience. The owner was very friendly and was willing to share about her creations and her shop. The cupcakes were beautifully placed in a white paper box and wrapped with a pink and green ribbon that matched her décor. It was as though I had purchased a present for myself.

An accurate description of the cupcakes was that their motto, “They are out of this world” matches the quality and enjoyment of the entire experience perfectly.

For the entire menu, contacts, or any other information about Galaxy Cupcakes, visit their website at http://www.galaxycupcakes.com/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.