About the Sarofim School of Fine Arts
On December 10, 1999, members of the Southwestern University's Board of Trustees voted to name the school of fine arts "The Fayez S. Sarofim School of Fine Arts" in recognition of Mr. Sarofim's generous contributions.
Housed in the Fine Arts Center, The Sarofim School of Fine Arts has its roots in the University's original School of Music established in 1888. In 1941, the Art Department was merged with the School of Music. In 1956, the Theatre Department was incorporated into the school.
In 1958, Mr. Sarofim founded his investment firm, Fayez Sarofim & Company. Ten years later, he began a business relationship with Southwestern University managing portions of the University's endowment. Over the years, he has contributed generously to the building and renovation of facilities in support of the fine arts at Southwestern University. His annual contributions to the University's general fund have supported the priority needs on campus including: scholarships, faculty development, library resources, and technology in the classroom and other learning spaces.