Office of Diversity Education
Diversity, Education, Advocacy, and Social Justice!
The Office of Diversity Education at Southwestern University works to promote diversity and social justice initiatives on campus. The ODE also provides resources and supports the continued development of a positive campus climate. The ODE is the NASPA Excellence Award - 2007 Silver Winner in the International, Multi-cultural, cultural, LGBTQ, Spirituality, Disability and related Programs category for the “One Community Many Voices” Video and Discussion Guide.
The Office of Diversity Education offers:
- Support for underrepresented students, and cultural and identity based student organizations.
- Workshops on diversity and social justice topics for the Southwestern University community.
- Events and programs to promote awareness about diversity and social justice.
- Resources through the Cross Cultural Center including a resource library, study groups and a place to relax and study.
- Networking and outreach opportunities for faculty, staff and students.
- Diversity Enrichment Committee Funding for programs and events.
- Diversity Trainings and Workshops
- Lavender Spaces Training
- Retention Initiatives for Students
- Leadership Development for Students
- Interactive Workshops
- Community Service Projects
- Zine Workshops
The Office of Diversity Education offers a variety of social justice and diversity workshops including the following: Welcoming Workshop, Stereotypes Workshop, Trigger Words Workshop, Diversity Circles and Leadership Diversity Workshops. The ODE will create workshops tailored to your specific needs and interests. To request a workshop, please contact Terri Johnson, Assistant Dean for Student Multicultural Affairs at email@example.com or at 863-1342.
The Coalition for Diversity and Social Justice sponsors an Annual Diversity Training Retreat for students.
The Assistant Dean serves as advisor and provides support for the Coalition for Diversity and Social Justice which includes seven culture, identity, and social justice based groups within the coalition: Pirates for Pride, E.B.O.N.Y., Kappa Delta Chi, Latinos Unidos, SU NATIVE, Asian Student Association and SU Planned Piratehood. (Each organization within the Coalition also has an advisor).
The Cross Cultural Center is located in Office 234 in the Prothro Center for Lifelong Learning.