Sept. 21, 2011
Southwestern will be offering three seasonal flu shot clinics this year for students, faculty, staff and the community.
The first clinic will be held on Thursday, Sept. 22, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Bishop’s Lounge.
The second clinic will be Wednesday, Oct. 5, from from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Bishop’s Lounge. and the third will be held on Friday, Oct. 21 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Prothro Lobby.
The seasonal flu vaccine is recommended for anyone who is 18 years old and older. Cost is $15 and payment may be made with cash, checks and Pirate Cards.
For more information call Health Services at x1252.
As the flu season approaches, students should be on the lookout for any of the following symptoms:
- Sore throat
- Runny/stuffy nose
- Body aches
- After-hours medical assistance is available at the providers listed here. In case of an emergency, call 911 or the campus police at ext. 1944.
- Free over-the-phone medical guidance is available by calling 2-1-1. The 2-1-1 health information helpline is staffed with medical professionals who can provide information about managing flu symptoms and advice on when to seek medical care from a physician or emergency room. Callers are instructed to choose a language and then press “6” for flu information and guidance.
If you are diagnosed with the flu, please go home if possible. If this is not possible, please isolate yourself in your room for at least 24 hours after you no longer have a fever without being on fever-reducing medication. Most students who have been diagnosed with the flu to date have recovered in 3-6 days and the cases have been mild. You can ask your roommate or RA to bring food to you.
RESOURCES FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE FLU
- Centers for Disease Control
- World Health Organization
- Texas Department of State Health Services (TexasFlu.org)
- Fact sheet from the Texas Department of State Health Services
If you have questions about how flu might affect a particular area of campus, or need assistance, please contact the following individuals or departments:
Jim Hunt, 512-863-1567, email@example.com
Campus Police, 512-863-1944
Mike Leese, 512-863-1624, firstname.lastname@example.org