For the most part all that you will need to know to access your SU email with an email application is the incoming and outgoing mail server names, the outgoing mail settings, your SUeID and password [case sensitive].
- Incoming Mail Server: imap.southwestern.edu
- The Outgoing Mail Server is: smtp.southwestern.edu
- The sample screen show below is for Thunderbird and other programs will appear different:
Thunderbird Email Settings
If you are looking for a good e-mail client to use on your personal computer, ITS recommends Mozilla Thunderbird. After you download and install Thunderbird, follow these steps to configure Thunderbird for Southwestern Email.
- Start Thunderbird
- If this is the first time that you've started Thunderbird, the New Account Setup Wizard will appear when you start Thunderbird. Feel free to step though the wizard and use the information from Step 8. to create your account. Otherwise, simply click Cancel, then click Exit.
If you do not see the wizard, continue to the next step
- Click 'Tools and select Account Settings'
- Click 'Add Account'
- Select 'Email account'
- Enter your full name and SU e-mail address (SUeID@southwestern.edu)
- Select IMAP
- Fill in the following:
- Incoming Server = imap.southwestern.edu
- Outgoing Server = smtp.southwestern.edu
- Incoming User Name = SUeID
- Outgoing User Name = SUeID
- Account name = Can be anything you'd like
Outlook Email Settings
- Open Outlook or Outlook Express
- Click 'Tools and then E-mail Accounts'
- Select 'Add a new e-mail account'
- Select 'IMAP'
- Fill in the following boxes:
- Your Name = Full Name
- E-mail Address = SUeID@southwestern.edu.edu
- Incoming mail = imap.southwestern.edu
- Outgoing mail = smtp.southwestern.edu (SEE THE GRAPHIC ABOVE FOR GUIDANCE)
- User Name = SUeID
- Password = leave blank
- Keep 'Remember the password' unchecked (For security reasons it is recommended you DO NOT save your password in any application)