Assistant Professor of History
Areas of expertise
- Modern European History,
- France and the French Empire,
- Human Rights,
PhD,Georgetown University 2008
MSFS,Georgetown University 2003
BA,Amherst College 2000
ACLS Mellon Early Career Fellow
American Council of Learned Societies
June 01, 2009 - June 01, 2010
Visiting Assistant Professor
August 01, 2008 - May 01, 2009
Courses: Spring 2014
History of Human Rights
I am currently working on a book manuscript that addresses how and why local community actors in France began to advocate for North African migrant rights in the decades following the Second World War.
I am also writing an article that examines the relationship between French activism for Portuguese rights and the preceding French experience of public debates about rights for Algerians during the Algerian independence struggle.
- "The 'Liberation' of the Bidonvilles: North African Migration and Urban Development in Saint-Denis and Asnières-sur-Seine" (French Politics, Culture & Society, forthcoming).
- "Teaching the French Revolution from the Inside Out: Views from Egypt and the Caribbean," World History Bulletin, Vol. XXVI, no. 1 (Spring 2010).
- Susan Palmer, The New Heretics of France: Minority Religions, la République, and the Government-Sponsored “War on Sects,” Journal of Religion, April 2014 (forthcoming).
- Panikos Panayi and Pippa Virdee, eds., Refugees and the End of Empire: Imperial Collapse and Forced Migration in the Twentieth Century, Journal of World History, 24:3 (September 2013), pp. 733-735.
- John R. Bowen, Why The French Don't Like Headscarves: Islam, the State, and Public Space, Nationalities Papers 36:3 (July 2008), pp. 586-588.
Seminars & Presentations
- "A Cosmopolitan Approach to Community Policies: North African Migrants in the Suburbs of Paris and Lyon"; Society for the Study of French History Annual Conference, Cardiff, Wales, UK, 30 June-2 July 2013.
- "Migration and Municipal Foreign Policy: North Africans in the Suburbs of Paris and Lyon"; Institute for Historical Studies Workshop Series on “Reinventing Diplomacy,” University of Texas at Austin, 15 Apr. 2013.
- "Slumlord with a Heart of Gold: What the Controversy over the Oliviers de Serres 'Ghetto' in Villeurbanne Reveals about Migrants’ Rights in the Republic"; Society for French Historical Studies Annual Conference, Cambridge, MA, 4-7 April 2013.
- “How Do We Deal with Good Intentions? Writing the History of Activism”; Feminist Studies Brown Bag, Southwestern University, 27 Feb. 2013.
- "The Algerian War through Metropolitan Prisms: How Ideas of Empire Shaped Local Immigration Policies and Policing," for the panel "Late Empire and its Aftermaths in Africa"; French Colonial Historical Society Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA; June 2012.
- "From Comrades-in-Arms to Community Burden: How Decolonization Reshaped Municipal Migration Policies in Saint-Denis," for the panel, "Coping with Decolonization: From Pondicherry to Paris"; SFHS Annual Conference, Charleston, SC; February 2011.
- "La Comparaison et la vue d'en bas: L'immigration maghrébine à l'échelle locale," guest lecturer for Dr. Nancy Green's research seminar, "L'Histoire comparée et les migrations contemporaines," École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales, Paris, 17 November 2009.
- "La recherche de leur place: Deux communes et leurs populations nord-africaines," invited speaker for the ongoing program, "Histoire des migrations internationales et des luttes contre les discriminations en Europe"; Migrinter and the Espace Mendès France; Poitiers, France; 9 November 2009.
- "'To All Our French Friends": Portuguese Immigrants and Public Conscience," for the panel, "Expecting the Unexpected: Unintended Consequences and Human Rights"; ISA Annual Convention, New York; 18 February 2009.
- "'Terror Will Not Reign in Saint-Denis': A Showdown Between City Officials and 'Harki' Police," for the panel, "Decolonization and the Challenge to the Republican Order: Ethnic Violence in the Paris Region in the 1960s"; WSFH Annual Conference, Quebec City, Canada; 6 November 2008.
- "The 'Liberation' of the Bidonvilles: Urban Development in Saint-Denis and Asnières-sur-Seine," for the panel, "Ils venaient tous d'Algérie: Analyse comparative de l'accès aux logements publics des travailleurs algériens, des Pieds-Noirs, et des Harkis dans les années 1960"; SFHS Annual Conference, Rutgers University; 3-5 April 2008.
- "France is a Woman: Feminine Allegory and the Late-Medieval Conception of Nation"; Duke University Department of Romance Studies conference on "Constructing Images of the Self"; 20-22 February, 2004.
Honors & Awards
ACLS/Mellon Dissertation Completion Fellowship, 2007-08.
Bourse Jeanne Marandon, Association des Professeurs Français et Francophones de l'Amérique, 2005-06.
Specific subjects or issues you can knowledgeably discuss:
Muslims in Europe
Immigration in Europe
Race/Minorities in Europe
I am willing to talk to the media: yes
I am willing to talk to community groups about my area of expertise: yes
Can you do interviews in Spanish? no
Other languages you are fluent in: French
Experience with the news media (especially electronic media):
Office: Mood-Bridwell 214