For Current Students: Psi Chi: Benefits of Membership
Why Become a Member of Psi Chi?
Psi Chi regularly participates in important projects and activities, including:
- Sponsoring student preparatory workshops for applying to graduate school
- Practice sessions for taking the GRE (Graduate Record Exam)
- Sponsoring student research presentations and attendance at professional meetings
- Various social activities
Though psychology students who are not Psi Chi members are welcome to attend these activities as well, the following list identifies many advantages of being a Psi Chi member:
- Recognition for outstanding academic performance.
- Permanent record of achievement which will be beneficial on applications and resumes.
- Additional educational opportunities and activities.
- One-on-one relationships with professors who can stimulate interest in psychology and write letters of recommendation.
- Interaction with other students with similar interests.
- Leadership development.
- Opportunity to be of service to the college/department sponsoring Psi Chi.
- Opportunities for members to attend conventions held annually and participate and meet leading psychologists and other students.
- Opportunities to enter research papers in the national organization's undergraduate and graduate research competitions.
- The intrinsic honor of achieving membership in the national honor society in one's chosen field.
- Tangible assets include a membership certificate and card.
- The Psi Chi Newsletter (which recognizes members as well as informs) is provided to the chapters free of charge for each active member.
- Membership in Psi Chi meets one of the requirements for entrance at the GS-7 level in numerous professional and technical occupations in the United States Government.
- Psi Chi provides a forum for obtaining information about, and developing perspectives in, the field of psychology and opportunities available to students.
- Membership is for life. The registration fee is the only payment ever made to the national organization which preserves the membership records and verifies memberships.
- Through their affiliation with Psi Chi, members feel a community with others in psychology--and gain identification of one's self with the larger field of psychology.