understanding human and natural systems
At the heart of Southwestern’s environmental studies program lies a list of provocative and urgent questions that students will be challenged to investigate.
- What is humankind’s relationship to its environment?
- How do natural systems operate?
- What are some of today’s most pressing environmental issues?
- How do we address the complicated issue of environmental justice?
- What are key environmental issues on the Southwestern campus and in Central Texas?
From these starting points, environmental studies students will begin an examination of the world around them that will continue through their time at Southwestern and into their lives beyond the classroom.
Jennifer O’Neal wins a King Creativity Grant for her GIS Project which develops a website that will analyze and map charitable organizations in Africa.
Southwestern student Jessica Olson is attending an international climate change conference in Poland this month.
A double major in biology and environmental studies with a minor in studio art, Kira created a LED lights project with a grant from the King Creativity Fund, participated in numerous sustainability initiatives on campus, and volunteered at one of the local animal shelters.