We will weave together intentionally the strands of Paideia: academics, intercultural, collaborative, and civic engagement. The Paideia Program seeks to assist the Paideia Scholars in their search for a life that is connected, thoughtful, and authentic. Our seminar and tutorial sessions are designed to assist each seminar member in the pursuit of such a life.
The following shared values, methods, and procedures continue to clarify our approach to learning in this seminar:
- we will take a proactive approach to learning, one that requires personal goal setting, self-directed study, and self-evaluation
- we will develop our goals and objectives with intentionality (that is, careful consideration and planning).
- we will reflect on our experiences, and the experiences of others, in an attempt to evaluate our own preconceived ideas and feelings; to challenge or reinforce our own values and beliefs; to discover other ways of thinking about complicated issues; and to explore different attitudes and viewpoints involving diverse perspectives.
- we will endeavor to maintain a supportive learning environment, one in which everyone’s opinion is valued and ideas that differ from our own are welcome.
- we will seek out and establish connections between what we are learning in our academic studies and the world at large.
- we will strive for personal growth and this will serve as a measure of our success.
Therefore, this seminar will require all of us to “stretch” beyond our established frames of reference, limits of understanding, and levels of comfort. The end result will be the integration of diverse learning experiences and progress toward the realization of our respective personal goals with regard to our educations.