Benefits for Veterans
Southwestern University is proud to support veterans and their families looking to start or continue their education. Our Veterans’ Representative is Nadia Mahannah, but you’ll find support all over campus.
Programs for Dependents of Veterans
Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA)
Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.
Transfer of Post-9/11 GI-Bill Benefits to Dependents (TEB)
As of August 1, 2009, service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill program can transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children. See Department of Defense TEB website (non-VA link) for more information.
Scholarship for Children of Fallen Service Members
Children of an active duty member of the Armed Forces who has died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, are eligible for the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship benefit. A child may be married or over 23 and still be eligible.
Scholarships for Dependents of Veterans
- Scholarships for Military Children
- Military.com’s Scholarship Finder
- ThanksUSA Military Dependent Scholarships
- Dependent Children Scholarship Program
- Army Emergency Relief Scholarship Programs
- Air Force Crossroads
- Navy Marine Corps Relief Society Programs
Coast Guard Mutual Assistance
Resources for Spouses
- Military Spouse Support Network
- Military Spouse Help
- Military Spouse TalkRadio.com
- VetSuccess for the Veteran’s Family
- MilitaryHOMEFRONT is the Department of Defense website for official Military Community and Family Policy (MC&FP) program information, policy and guidance designed to help troops and their families, leaders, and service providers
- U.S. Department of Defense Community Relations Office