Engaging Minds, Transforming Lives


International Students

Southwestern enrolls students from around the globe. International students study in the capacity of both Southwestern degree-seeking or exchange programs. The Southwestern community benefits greatly from the cultural diversity which all of these students bring to the campus.

Since over half of its students study abroad, and many faculty have experience teaching and conducting research outside the United States, the Southwestern community is welcoming of an international presence on campus. International students are regularly called upon for their unique perspective and expertise, and contribute greatly to the dynamic and diverse climate at Southwestern.

Admission Requirements

As a selective university, Southwestern looks for excellence in its applicants. International students must meet all of the following criteria to be considered for admission:

  • Completion of a competitive secondary school curriculum with strong academic performance.
  • Coursework should include at least four years of English, four years of math, three years of science, two years of foreign language, three years of social science and one additional academic elective.
  • English proficiency. Southwestern does not offer courses in English as a second language. All International students must demonstrate mastery of written and oral English.
  • Students whose first language is not English must take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and achieve a score of 570 on the written test or an 88 on the Internet-based test, or may submit an IELTS score with a minimum score of 6.5.
  • Students whose first language is English must take the SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test) or the ACT Test.

How to Apply

To apply for admission, international students must submit all of the following:

  • A completed Application for Admission
  • Transcripts of secondary school coursework that list all courses taken and the grades received and/or results of post-secondary cumulative examinations such as G.C.E., I.B., S.P.M. and M.C.E.
  • Transcripts and examination results must be in English and sent to Southwestern directly by the school, examination board or certified translator.
  • A completed secondary school report or counselor recommendation submitted by the appropriate school official
  • TOEFL and/or SAT results
  • A recommendation from a teacher (optional)
  • A completed Certification of Finances form.
  • A bank verification form
  • Transfer students must submit official records of all college work completed or in progress.
  • Transfer students must also have the College Official’s Report or Instructor’s Evaluation 

International Costs & Financing

Costs for the current academic year can be found here.

Southwestern’s primary financing option for international students is through merit-based scholarships . A student will be eligible for academic scholarship consideration upon completing an admission application. In order to be considered for admission, international students must submit a Certification of Finances form and provide proof of funds to support four years of education at Southwestern. Southwestern has very limited need based financial aid funds.

International FAQs

What is the process for obtaining a student visa?

When a student receives a letter of acceptance to Southwestern, the student must submit a $500 (U.S.) enrollment deposit to reserve a place in the class and in on-campus housing. The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service Form I-20 will be issued to the student after the deposit is received. The student must present it and the acceptance letter, to the nearest U.S. Consulate. The Consulate then will issue the student an F-1 student visa.

Is health insurance required?

All international students are required to purchase and present proof of health insurance coverage by an American carrier or proof that their health insurance coverage extends to services received in the U.S. Southwestern offers health insurance options that provide coverage for most illnesses and medical emergencies. We also offer health services on campus as well as referrals to the Georgetown Hospital in the event of serious illness or injury.

Are banking services available to international students?

Worldwide banking services are available in Georgetown, and students may have funds wired to Southwestern. For details on wiring funds, please call the Business Office at 512-863-1926.

What type of housing is available?

Southwestern is a residential college with over 85 percent of our students living on campus. Housing for international students is guaranteed. Southwestern’s residence halls provide students with individual, high-speed connection to the Internet, a personal phone number and voice mail, long-distance access and cable TV service. All residence halls have central air conditioning and heating; most are suites with connecting bathrooms. For upper-level students, one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments are available on campus in addition to other options. Assistance is available for international students wishing to obtain housing during holidays and over the summer months.

What type of transportation/airport service is available to international students?

Georgetown, TX does not offer any form of mass or public transportation. However, students living on campus do not usually find that an everyday problem. There are many students who own cars; International students often develop relationships with other students and will travel in Georgetown together. If necessary, there are taxis and shuttles available to hire. This is a helpful and common mode of transportation to the airport. Once in Austin, public bus services with a variety of routes are available through Capital Metro.

Does SU provide for International Student Services?

The Director of Intercultural Learning and International Student Services, the staff of Academic Services and faculty advisors, readily offer assistance, information and guidance to all of our students. All entering students must attend an extensive orientation program before the start of the fall term. During orientation, international students are scheduled to meet both with their academic advisor and the international student advisor. The Director of Intercultural Learning, Tisha Temple can be contacted by e-mail. The entire campus welcomes international students and works to assist in their overall transition to Southwestern.

What type of student activities are available for international students?

There are over 100 student organizations available, including departmental, religious, and special interest groups and national fraternities and sororities. As part of the liberal arts education, students celebrate and value diversity. This is reflected in the wide variety of organizations in which students choose to participate. Some organizations that lend an international perspective include the Coalition for Diversity and Social Justice, SU Buddist Meditation Group, EBONY, Latinos Unidos, Pan-Asian Association, German Club and Muslim Student Organization. Other popular activities among Southwestern students include community service and intramural sports. The Outdoor Recreation department also sponsors many fun trips and activities for students such as caving, hiking, sailing, and canoeing.

What is a liberal arts and sciences education?

There are many different kinds of colleges and universities. At Southwestern, we strongly believe in the value of a liberal arts and sciences education. We offer a broad-based approach to education spanning many disciplines. It exposes the student poet to physics and technology and the young accountant to the history of art. It takes advantage of each subject’s potential for posing value questions and for presenting problems, facts, ideas, events and situations in their full context. A student’s field of study is pursued while allowing the student to become a broadly and highly educated person.