Email & Passwords
Your SUeID is your electronic identity to access all e-mail and online web services at Southwestern. Do not share your password with anyone! Sharing passwords is a violation of the Acceptable Use Policy. Remember, anyone who has your password can impersonate you, read your email, delete your data files, view class grades and rosters. PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD AND YOUR SU IDENTITY!
Your email address will be: your_SUeID@southwestern.edu
Email is the primary form of communication on campus. Check your e-mail frequently. Access to WebMail is through MySouthwestern. You are required to maintain your Southwestern email account to receive official university communications. You will be surprised how quickly your Inbox will grow in size. Please, delete unneeded messages on a regular basis.
Configuring a Mail Client
You may want to use an email client to read your mail on a regular basis (e.g. Apple Mail, Thunderbird.) You will need to know the incoming and outgoing mail server names.
Incoming Server: imap.southwestern.edu
- Outgoing Mail Server will be: smtp.southwestern.edu
- smtp.southwestern.edu reguires authentification. The image below provides an example of the information that must be provided for off site authentification.
More about passwords
Faculty, Staff and Students are required to change the password associated with their SUeID every 180 days. You can change your password in WebMail or by visiting www.southwestern.edu/password
- At least two lower case letters
- At least one upper case letter
- At least one number
- Password length: 6 - 8 alphanumeric characters
- Your new password must be completely different from your current password (i.e., 'Password1' cannot be changed to 'passWord1').